IMG employment contract review service
We understand that moving to a new country and role can be daunting. Knowing what is in your employment contract gives you peace of mind. AMA Queensland can arrange a phone meeting before you move or commence in your new position. One of our Workplace Relations Team members will step through the terms and conditions with you, and clarify any areas of uncertainty.
Our IMG members receive a wealth of support in transitioning to employment and life in Queensland, including:
- Advice getting an MBS provider number
- An introduction to our trusted network of corporate partners in legal, accounting, insurance, banking, finance and vehicle services.
- Exclusive travel deals with flight discounts with Emirates, reduced QANTAS and Virgin Lounge membership and personalised service through travel partner World Orbit Travel.
- Free networking and educational events around the state to help you make new local contacts.
- Subscriptions to industry journals and resources such as the Medical Journal of Australia, Doctor Q and DoctorPortal to keep you informed of the latest news and opportunities in Queensland.
Registration and accreditation
The organisations below are your first contact points as International Medical Graduates seeking employment in Australia as medical officers. They provide the information and pathways relevant to obtaining certification of you medical degree and your medical registration which is a requirement for practising medicine here in Australia.
AMA Position Statements on Overseas Trained Doctors
The AMA has long supported overseas-trained doctors, calling for appropriate resources, training, services and working conditions to ensure overseas trained doctors are able to thrive in Australia's medical profession. For more information on how AMA has been advocating on your behalf, please read the below position statements:
- Good medical practice: a code of conduct for doctors in Australia get_app
- Guidelines for advertising regulated health services get_app
- Guidelines for mandatory notifications get_app
- Sexual boundaries: guidelines for doctors get_app
- Guidelines for technology-based patient consultations get_app
- Information on inter-jurisdictional technology based patient consultations forward
- Guidelines - Supervised practice for international medical graduates get_app
- Medical Board of Australia - Supervision forward
The three main pathways to registration in Australia are set out on the Australian Medical Council (AMC) website.
You can do an online self-assessment check to work out which pathway is right for you.
Read more about the AMC Application procedures on the AMC website, including a booklet for IMGs on Applying to the AMC.
Clinical Information Sources
doctorportal Learning is a state-of-the-art, mobile friendly, continuing professional development (CPD) learning management system for Australian doctors. Developed with the busy doctor in mind, doctorportal Learning offers you:
- CPD point tracking across multiple specialties;
- 24/7 access to online, medical education;
- a range of learning content that suits your interest and/or specialty;
- support in meeting your Medical Board of Australia CPD reporting obligations; and
- guidance on your CPD requirements (YES, we know how many points you need and when).
For your FREE 60-day trial to see how doctorportal Learning can help you manage your CPD.
First year practising in Australia: 20% off membership fees.
Second year practising in Australia: 10% off membership fees.
To take take advantage of these discounts, join through one of the below options:
Submit your application via post, fax or email
Submit your application online:
Apply over the phone:
Membership Team: (07) 3872 222
If you have any questions about AMA Queensland membership, or the special offers available to you, please contact the Membership Team at email@example.com or (07) 3972 2222.